Monday, July 18, 2011

Kid at Heart

One of my good friends recently celebrated a birthday, and although he is married to my former roommate and currently expecting his firstborn, he is still very much a kid at heart.  When I was younger I used to think that the boys in my class would eventually grow out of their childish and mischievous ways.  But as I've gotten older, I've realized that in many ways, men will always have the heart of a ten year old boy.  And you know what... that's one of the things I've come to love the most about the men in my life! : )  Whereas my mom and I tend to be more serious and practical, it always seems to be my guy friends and family who make me laugh and learn not to take life so seriously.  It's a wonderful quality and I'm glad that in some ways, little boys never grow up!

That being said, for this boy's birthday, his only request was that the cupcakes be almond and that they be covered with lots and lots of sprinkles.  I had to laugh when his wife shared his wishes with me... so simple.  But that's exactly what I gave him.  A moist almond cake with a traditional buttercream frosting... doused with sprinkles.  I've always been a sprinkles fan myself, so I was more than happy to oblige his boy-like whim.  These cupcakes were a hit at his birthday party, and they all quickly disappeared!  I've learned that in baking - and in life - it's sometimes the simple things that matter most.


Blessings-
LC

No comments:

Post a Comment