Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Apples!

It's that wonderful time of year when the trees are heavy laden with perfectly ripe apples.  An afternoon trip to the orchard was not only a welcome escape into the open countryside, but left me with a whole bag of apples just waiting to be baked into a delightful treat.

I'll admit, I've never been much of a pie gal.  Something about the texture just doesn't make it my favorite.  But who doesn't love apple pie - especially when the crust is flaky and delicious and the apples were hand picked?  So I decided to try my turn at this classic American treat and made little individual hand-held pies.  Kind of like a fried pie you'd see at a fair, but lighter, and flakier, and without the heavy "I've been soaking in a vat of grease" taste.  And even this not-usually-a-pie-kinda-gal has to admit... they were DELICIOUS!!!  It was like a taste of fall.  Warm, cinnamon, buttery apples inside a perfectly flaky and light crust.  Plus, they were the perfect size to hold in your little paw and devour without feeling guilty that you didn't share.




I think this may have converted me.  I just might be a pie-kinda-girl after this!

Blessings-
LC

4 comments:

  1. congrats on starting a blog! I'm looking forward to see all the different items you bake. I still have dreams about that key lime cupcake I had in the summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! And you baked these for the Connect Dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! So proud of you =0) -Jess

    ReplyDelete