Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Quake Cookies

As you probably heard, we had an earthquake here on the East Coast a couple weeks ago.  Because of that, and potential damage to my office building, we were released about 2pm and told not to come back until they cleared the building - which happened to be the next day.  The city was in chaos, and thankfully I live close enough to work that I was able to just walk home.  But everything else was closed, and traffic was awful, so I was pretty much forced to stay at my house the rest of the day.

So what do you do when you're trapped at home?  Bake cookies of course!  I had been wanting to make cookies with Rolo's for a while (my favorite childhood candy), and I had also been wanting to try baking pretzel pieces into cookies (you know how much I love salty and sweet together!).  So I started with my basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, but instead of chocolate chips, I added chopped Rolo's.  After I had all the cookies ready to go on the sheet, I added some crushed pretzels to the top and then put them in the oven to bake into delicious morsels.

These are FAN-tastic.  I can't tell you what a hit these were at the office the next day.  There is something so nostalgic for me about Rolo's, and the pretzels were perfect to help offset all that sugar.  I think I'll try adding pretzels to some of my other cookies and see how the flavor combination works.  While I initially called these "quake cookies" because they were the result of being sent home early and bored from the earthquake, what I realized is that because of the chopped candies and crushed pretzels, these cookies actually kind of look like they were in an earthquake too!  Clever I know... I made some cookies with pretzels, and some without.  But the cookies with pretzels were by far my favorite!



Blessings-
LC

No comments:

Post a Comment