Thursday, May 5, 2011

Moms are Awesome

With Mothers Day right around the corner, I thought this was the perfect treat to share.  I must admit that I made this for a bridal shower recently, and not for my mom, but I just think it is gorgeous and would be the perfect thing for a special mom this Sunday.

I made this cake taller than usual (4-layers) because there were lots of ladies at the bridal shower, and I wanted to make sure there was enough to go around.  And boy... what a treat!  The bride-to-be is lactose intolerant, so it was my first time making a dairy-free cake.  It was a success!  I wouldn't choose to bake dairy-free (a girl's gotta have her butter!), but my girl friend loved it, and that's all that mattered.  It's a lemon cake with lemon buttercream, not only a great flavor for spring, but one of the bride's favorites.

I don't know if you can really tell from the photos, but the cake kinda looked like a big hydrangea with swirls of green and blue icing - and a little edible glitter thrown on for good measure.  Next time I think I'd make the colors a little less-vivid, but it looked great with the other floral decorations we had for the bridal shower (that were actually real flowers).  All in all, I thought it was a beautiful cake and definitely something different that the guests weren't expecting!




Blessings-
LC

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Lindsey! This is a seriously incredible cake! You have really outdone yourself with this one...
    -Jess =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't make the colors less vivid. It's absolutely gorgeous as is! Lindsey, you're so crafty!
    ~ Jenna B

    ReplyDelete